YELLOW TREE THEATRE IS Currently SEEKING A MANAGING DIRECTOR
Yellow Tree Theatre (YTT) is a professional nonprofit theater located in the Northwest suburbs of Minneapolis in Osseo, Minnesota. A recipient of a 2016 National Theater Company Grant from the American Theater Wing, Yellow Tree is a small-town theater with a national reputation, and serves as a vital artistic hub for our community. YTT operates and rents a 120-seat theatre venue which includes a concession area and lobby. YTT’s main area of focus is to provide our community with high-quality, professional theatre productions. Also, YTT seeks to cultivate a theater company where artists are creatively challenged, artistically inspired and financially supported. YTT is committed to the highest possible artistic standards and is proud to be the only professional theatre in the Northwest suburbs of the Twin Cities.
Mission: Yellow Tree Theatre brings stories to life that ignite passion, inspire laughter and awaken possibility while exploring and celebrating the great complexities of the human spirit. We strive to be a welcoming artistic venue where people of all ages and walks of life can gather to experience authentic community, and to produce high-quality professional productions in the heart of the Northwest suburbs of Minneapolis, making live theatre more accessible to the community.
History: YTT was founded in 2008 by theater artists and husband/wife team Jason and Jessica Peterson. Since opening its doors, YTT has produced ten seasons of work, 50 main stage theatre productions, five of which were world premieres and seven of which were original works from local playwrights. In addition to producing critically-acclaimed plays and musicals, YTT has hosted many theatre education programs for area youth, including summer camps, classes and workshops. In a mere ten years, YTT’s annual subscription base has grown from 60 to over 1,200 and YTT serves 15,000 patrons each year.
Awards and recognition include: 2014 MRAC Arts Achievement Award; 2014 Ivey Awards for Excellence in Acting & Directing; 2014 Mpls. Star Tribune Best of MN "Best Unexpected Place to Find Great Theater"; Top Ten Twin Cities Productions of 2015, Mpls. Star Tribune, Dancing at Lughnasa; 2015 Artistic Dir. Jason Peterson named a “Mover & Shaker” in the Twin Cities Theater Sceneby MN Monthly; 2016 National Theater Company Grant, American Theater Wing; Twin Cities Arts Reader, Top Ten Production of 2017, Grace; 2017 “Best comedic performance by an ensemble”, One Man Two Guvnors, TC Theater Blogger Awards.
Yellow Tree Theatre is seeking a Managing Director who will be responsible for establishing and executing the organization’s strategic plan in cooperation with the Board of Directors and the Executive Artistic Director. The Managing Director will oversee all business aspects of the company with a primary focus on fundraising and operations. The position reports to the Executive Artistic Director and works collaboratively with the Executive Artistic Director and founders.
The Managing Director will represent YTT to donors, media, patrons and the community at large, in conjunction with the founders. He/She will be able to clearly articulate the mission, vision and strategy of the organization to all external constituents.
The Managing Director will also be responsible for the following:
Cultivation, Development and Fundraising:
• A substantial portion of time will be allocated to serving as a cultivator of key donor relationships, and in the development of prospective donors.
• Developing and executing an annual fundraising and season sponsorship plan in collaboration with the Development Manager.
• Working with Development Manager to identify and track metrics to use in grant proposals and other specific asks.
• Working in collaboration with the Development Manager to manage the grant timeline.
• Working in collaboration with the Development Manager to organize and execute annual fundraising gala.
Board Relations and Governance Process:
• Collaborating with the Board of Directors and implementing strategic plans and goals, assuring alignment with artistic goals and vision for YTT.
• Developing and maintaining a mutually supportive relationship with the Executive Artistic Director and founders.
• Leading the business operations of the theater company including customer service and box office operations.
• Overseeing development of annual season budget developed in collaboration with Executive Artistic Director.
• Negotiating theatrical licensing and contracts as well as insurance contracts (casualty, liability, work comp).
• Managing human resources, maintaining employee handbook, and administering personnel policies and benefits.
• Working with Executive Artistic Director in leading the marketing area in the development of the annual marketing plan.
• Using YTT and market data to set capacity and pricing strategy.
• Representing YTT to the press, in conjunction with the Executive Artistic Director and founders.
• Leading group sales initiatives.
• Leading and overseeing finances in the development of the annual organizational budget.
• Overseeing preparation of 990.
• Financial reporting, budget performance, forecasting, cash flow projections and maintenance of the accounting systems.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE:
The ideal candidate will provide strategic leadership with a passion for theater arts. He/She will be able to speak and write persuasively about the value and importance of the arts, arts access, outreach and the programs of Yellow Tree Theatre. Experience in a nonprofit environment is required; experience leading a theater organization is a plus. The successful candidate will be a collaborative general manager who is adept at fostering a diverse, respectful and inclusive environment within the organization.
The Managing Director will be innovative in approaching revenue generation for YTT. A demonstrated track record of leading fundraising from government, corporate, foundation and individual donors is required. The ideal candidate will be a strong and effective communicator to internal and external audiences and will be comfortable articulating strategy, setting priorities and delegating responsibilities. He/She will be effective at managing competing priorities while leading, motivating, supporting and collaborating with the Board, staff, patrons, media, artists and the broader community. The ideal candidate will exhibit stamina and a strong work ethic, as well as the flexibility to deal with variable flow of work activity with a small administrative staff. The ideal candidate will be able and willing to regularly attend key events for the organization ranging from performances, board meetings, and special events, to include working evenings and weekends, as necessary.
SKILL SET SUMMARY:
• Experience: minimum of 5 years in management and development preferred
• Fundraising leadership experience is a requirement
• Educational Background: a degree of either a BFA/BA/BS is preferred
• Strong and effective communicator, persuasive speaking and writing skills
• Nonprofit experience is required, either in a professional or active Board or volunteer capacity
• Experience in a leadership role in a theatre organization or other performing arts organization preferred
• Demonstrated strategic leadership
• Positive attitude and willingness to work closely with YTT founders to achieve operational goals
• Willingness to engage in patron services and customer service as needed
Interested candidates should submit cover letter, resume and salary requirements to: SearchCommittee@yellowtreetheatre.com
Position start date is August 1, 2018
Yellow Tree Theatre is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are based on individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression (including transsexual and inter-sexed), national origin, age, disability, marital status, political affiliation, status with respect to public assistance or veteran status, or other status protected by law.